Benefits of Membership
Membership in OLLI allows members to take up to three study groups in a semester. A member may add a fourth study group after the first week of class if a study group in underenrolled. There is a Fall semester and a Spring semester.
In addition, OLLI offers February and July Shorts, 3- to 5-day immersion study groups and June Minis, study groups which are 1-session per week for 4 weeks.
Expanded Social Experience
Membership in OLLI provides an opportunity for increased social interaction and new friendships based on a shared interest in learning. Informal lunchtime discussions and special events such as open houses or the holiday party provide some of the many occasions for socializing. Many outgrowths of OLLI have developed among members interested in pursuing a topic in depth. Each “OLLI Opportunity” or “OLLI Ops” meets independently and provides an environment of continued friendship and learning.
- Open Houses
occur each fall and spring, enabling new and continuing members to get
together, learn about OLLI, and meet study group leaders.
- The Lecture Series takes place during the semester and features members of the
greater Washington, DC community, each speaking on a special field of interest. During the semesters, lectures are held on Fridays at 4801 Massachusetts Ave. NW from 1:30-2:30 PM. Lectures require an online reservation through Eventbrite. Interim Lecture
Series are held weekday mornings in January and May — from 10:00 to 11:00 AM — featuring speakers on a variety of subjects. Lectures are free. Reservations are required through Eventbrite. See the Lecture Series page for more information.
- Special Events
include day trips, museum tours, discussions, and other activities.
- Town Hall in the fall and Annual Meeting in the spring give members an opportunity
to see others, voice concerns, ask questions, and learn more about OLLI’s
- A Holiday Party is held in
- OLLI Ops are group gatherings organized by OLLI members with a specific shared interest. Some examples are the James Joyce Bloomsday group and the OLLI KnitWits (knitting group). Contact the Office for how to join a group. Read more about current OLLI Ops.
- Join other OLLI members on Trips to local sites, such as the National Cathedral, or nearby museums, such as the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Benefit from professional tour guides and discounted group rates as well as the company of fellow OLLI members.
American university benefits
- All OLLI members enjoy the privilege of access to the University's Bender Library during the academic sessions for which they are registered. The library is located on main campus at the west end of the university quadrangle.
- The library requires a valid, government issued photo ID for account creation and for borrowing. They also issue a borrowing card to be used along with the ID.
- AU Library books may be borrowed with an account (up to 25 at a time). The checkout period is 4 weeks and renewal is available (all items are subject to recall and may need to be returned sooner).
- All members may access most of the electronic resources on-site while at the library
- Click here to view the current library hours.
- Learn more
- All OLLI members are eligible for an annual membership at the Jacobs Fitness Center at a discounted rate. Feel free to call the Fitness Center at 202-885-6267. Learn more
Each Friday OLLI publishes an e-newsletter updating members on the OLLI calendar, upcoming events, trips, OLLI Ops, etc.