944: Cutting the Cord: Alternatives to Cable TV
February 4, 6, and 8, 2019
9:45 AM - 11:15 AM
Broadcast TV and Cable TV have traditionally provided in-home media to US households. We are experiencing a new paradigm
in home entertainment where households are discontinuing their cable TV contracts in favor of streaming options where content is delivered by companies such as Netflix.
In this class we will examine:
1. Technical details: how traditional cable, over-the-air TV, and streaming options work, including Internet access and Wi-Fi.
2. Your current cable bill and how streaming can save you money.
3. A comparison of the major streaming devices: Roku vs Apple TV vs. Smart TV.
4. Comparing content providers: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube TV, etc.
5. Experiences of cord-cutters.
Class Format: Lecture and Discussion
Hours of Reading: No reading
Study Group Leader(s):
Victor Rezmovic, PhD, is a technology educator who has spent the last 30 years in academic, corporate, and governmental settings. Since taking apart his first PC in the mid-1980s, he has followed the technology revolution as email, the Internet, digital music, Netflix, and Amazon have become part of our everyday lives.