Serendipity! Joe Snyder: Genghis Khan - The Man Who Conquered Eurasia
Genghis Khan, who conquered a huge part of the Eurasian continent, has a reputation as a fierce warrior and a cruel ruler. He was both, but he was also an exceptional administrator whose rule facilitated long-range trade and eventually led to the European colonial penetration of Asia.
Joe Snyder was a State Department Foreign Service Officer for thirty years, serving in Thailand, Iran, Taiwan, Malaysia and Austria, as well as Washington. After retirement from government service he was President of the American Australian Association in New York, Executive Director of the Asia Society’s Washington Center and Director of Asia Programs at the Atlantic Council. For the past eleven years he has been a lecturer on cruise ships, private jet tours and Smithsonian Journeys land tours.
|Date:||Wednesday, December 2|
|Location:||Online via Zoom|
|*Registrants will be e-mailed the Zoom invitation the morning of the lecture.|
This lecture is free of charge but you must register in order to receive a Zoom invitation. The registration deadline is Wednesday, December 2 at 8:00 AM.
To help the lecture to go smoothly, please click the link in the Zoom invitation by 3:25 PM.
Because this lecture may have 100+ participants, the settings are different than for OLLI study groups.
- All attendees' microphones will be muted.
- Questions will be taken at the end of the lecture for the speaker. Questions will be managed through the Chat function in Zoom. (See instructions below.) OLLI staff will read each question and the speaker will answer the question.
Zoom Chat Function
- At the bottom of the Zoom screen in the center menu to the right of "Share Screen" is the Chat icon (above the word "Chat" is an icon of a quote bubble).
- Click on "Chat." A white dialogue box will appear to the right of the video.
- Type a question and hit Enter.
- Note that you will only be able to submit a question to the Meeting Host or to Everyone. You will not be able to chat privately during the meeting.
If your video is on, everyone can see you and anyone else in view of your camera.Register for this Event