943: Cutting the Cord: Alternatives to Cable TV
July 12, 13, 14
9:45 AM - 11:15 AM
Broadcast TV and cable TV have traditionally provided in-home media to US households. We are experiencing a new paradigm in home entertainment in which households are replacing cable contracts with content delivered by companies such as Netflix. In this 3-session class we will examine:
1. Technical details: how traditional cable, over-the-air TV, and streaming work, including Internet access and Wi-Fi
2. Your current cable bill and how streaming can save you $$$
3. A comparison of the major streaming devices: Roku vs. Apple TV vs. Smart TV
4. Comparing content providers: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube TV, etc.
5. Experiences of cord-cutters
This study group has a high class size capacity.
Class Type: Lecture and Discussion
Class Format: Online
Hours of Reading: Less than 1 hour/session
Study Group Leader(s):Victor Rezmovic
Victor Rezmovic, PhD, is a technology educator who has spent the last 30 years in academic, corporate, and governmental settings. Since taking apart his first PC in the mid-1980s he has followed the technology revolution as email, the Internet, digital music, Netflix, and Amazon have become part of our everyday lives.