Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
WHAT ARE THE PARKING OPTIONS?
Temple Baptist Church and Main Campus
- American University has a parking lot at Nebraska Ave. and New Mexico Ave. Two pay-as-you-go machines are located at the pedestrian exits from the lot. Members can also park at the Katzen Art Center Garage. Parking is $2.00 per hour and the machines accept cash or credit cards.
- There is unlimited street parking on Nebraska Ave. between 9:30am and 4:00pm.
- In the Residential Area behind the church parking is two hours only, and carefully patrolled. OLLI Members are encouraged to register their cars with the University to prevent getting University tickets. Call 202.885.3111 or email the University at: email@example.com. Let them know that you are an OLLI member, give your car license number/state, name and phone number. Or mail the information to: Public Safety, American University, 4400 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20016.
- Commuters to American University can now use "Pay By Phone & Go" in the Nebraska lot and in the Katzen or School of International Service garage. Instructions are:
- Dial 1.888.450.PARK (7275)
- Enter your location number (posted on nearby signs and parking meters)
- Enter your parking space number
- Enter how long you expect to be parked.
- You'll receive a text message reminder before your time expires. If you're running late you'll have the option to call back and extend your parking session.
- If you are a first-time user of this service, set up your free acounty by signing up online or calling 1.888.450.PARK (7275). You'll need to provide your mobile phone number and credit card (Visa, Mastercard) information. Then, whenver you use Pay By Phone & Go, your details will be recognized automatically. All information is kept confidential and secure. Your credit card information is encrypted when you sign up and is never entered, displayed or spoken during future transactions. Whenever you use Pay By Phone & Go, regular parking charges apply, plus a 35-cent convenience fee assessed by Verrus, the mobile payment company.
- Handicapped Parking is available in the designated spaces in the church parking lot on a first come first serve basis. Your permit must be displayed.
Capital Hall, American University's Tenley Campus
- Park on Nebraska Avenue, SW of Tenley Circle. Parking is unlimited after 9:30.
- Make a right onto Warren Street, going south on Nebraska. Two hour parking available here.
- There is one space reserved for handicapped parking in the driveway in front of Capital Hall. Handicapped passengers can be dropped off in front of the building and there are no steps to get to the classrooms in Capital Hall.
HOW DO I GET BOOKS FOR MY COURSE, IF NEEDED?
- At American University Bookstore. The books needed are included in the body of the class description.
- A.U. Bookstore is located in the Butler Pavilion. Ask any student on campus. Ask for the section set aside for OLLI books.
- OLLI members get a 10% discount on books.
- Although we don't endorse any particular one, there are a number of on-line options, including www.amazon.com, www.half.com, www.ebay.com.
WHERE CAN WE EAT?
- Brown bag lunch with OLLI friends at Temple Baptist Church
- University Club on campus in Mary Graydon Center — set meal price
- Market Place on campus in Mary Graydon Center — cafeteria prices
- Wagshall’s Deli in the Ward Circle Building
- Local restaurants — Spring Valley and/or New Mexico Ave.
CAN WE USE THE A.U. SHUTTLE BUS SERVICE?
- Yes. Anyone can ride this bus. No payment is necessary.
- The bus runs from Tenleytown metro's Red Line to campus every 15 minutes. (See the AU website for more details.)
- Get off bus at Nebraska Hall, Nebraska Ave., which is in front of the church.
- Get on bus at Tenley Hall or Hughes Hall on main campus to return to metro.
CAN MEMBERS USE THE UNIVERSITY'S BENDER LIBRARY?
- Yes. All OLLI members enjoy the privilege of access to the University's Bender Library. The Library is located on main campus at the west end of the university quadrangle.
- Request a Special Borrowers Card from the Circulation Desk. Tell them you are a member of OLLI. We send a list of our members to the library when the semester begins.
- Computers with Internet access are available.
CAN WE JOIN THE UNIVERSITY FITNESS CENTER?
Yes. All OLLI members are eligible for an annual membership at the Jacobs Fitness Center at a discounted rate. Feel free to call the Fitness Center at 202-885-6267.
WHAT HAPPENS IN INCLEMENT WEATHER?
OLLI classes will be cancelled all day whenever the District and/or Montgomery County Public School Systems announce school closings or delayed openings. Members are urged to check with local television and radio stations that broadcast such bulletins for the schools.
WHAT IS THE REFUND POLICY?
The office must receive requests for refunds in writing no later than the end of the second week of the term for which the refund is requested. A $25 processing fee will be assessed.
Registration confirmation notices are mailed on the first business day that follows the Lottery Day.
OLLI reserves the right to cancel any study group. Members registered in a study group that is canceled will be notified immediately so that they may select an available alternate.
WHAT IS THE DISCRIMINATION POLICY?
OLLI does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, sex, religious preference, or national origin.